Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Magnificent Miki Moto

I'm obviously not riding as of late, but I still have lessons on Tuesdays and Saturdays and am learning plenty. Everyone at the barn from the young grade-school girls and their parents to the seasoned riders and the head trainer has been caring and sympathetic. It's great to be part of such a supportive community while I'm recovering from my injuries. And I love visiting Moto.

Mr. Miki Moto, at 18 hands, is the tallest horse at the barn. A hand is four inches, and horses are measured from their withers (the ridge on the back between the shoulder blades) to the ground. After I learned that I broke my sacrum, I read that sacrum injuries often are caused by falling from "a great height." That would be Moto! Despite his size, he's a gentle giant and very patient with beginners. He does tend to be a bit lazy, but you can hardly blame him. Wouldn't you be a little languid if you were his size? I love how he turns his ears backward to listen to me when I'm riding him.

The handsome guy loves treats. He hikes up his front leg and taps his huge bell-shaped hoof to let me know that he'd like another carrot, please. Moto likes being groomed and leans in to me and sighs when I curry-comb his chest. Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment