Sunday, December 12, 2010

Crunchy Granola

Tonight I made homemade granola, and I'm pleased to report that the Wrangler pronounced it "the best thing you've made in a really long time." Although, now that I think of it, what is this saying about my other culinary efforts? Hmm. My recipe is based on the granola recipe in the Mountain Sky Ranch cookbook (the ranch that hosts the spectacular Wild West Women Adventure in Montana). It's a quick and easy project with yummy results, and the house smells cozy and Christmasy:

4 c. oats
2/3 c. each - roasted cashews, walnuts, almonds, pecans, and peanuts
1 c. coconut
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 Tbsp. each - cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2/3 c. honey
2 Tbsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, mix the oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a saucepan, heat the oil and honey but do not boil. Remove from stove and add vanilla.
Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
Spread evenly on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake in a 325 degree oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
If desired, add dried fruit after baking. I added about 1/3 c. dried cranberries to one of the baking sheets. You also can add raisins, apricots, dates, etc.
Let cool. Store in air-tight container. Makes 12 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment