If you've been wondering where I've been these past two weeks, I'll tell you: immersed in sheep books. I've read about a book a day and now am faintly familiar with--but not well-versed in--the subjects of sheep breeding, gestation, lambing, nutrition, pasture management, housing, diseases, parasites, predators, fencing, behavior, and breeds. There are so many things that can go wrong, but I reason that: (1) although I don't have human kids, most people have them, (2) raising a cute little babydoll sheep can't be any scarier than raising a human, and so (3) if most people can raise a few humans, I should be able to raise a few sheep without an inordinate amount of freaking out about them getting loose, sick, or eaten by a coyote.
I just Netflixed a documentary, Sweetgrass, about a large sheep ranch in Montana. I found it fascinating. The Wrangler did fall asleep about midway through, but I will attribute this to the soothing sheep sounds and beautiful Montana scenery rather than to a lack of interest. Truth be told, Sweetgrass probably will appeal only to those among us who really like sheep.
I've found a dangerous number of adorable sheep-related things on etsy.com. I must exercise restraint. We're still tripping over boxes of lavender-themed stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment