Friday, March 4, 2011

You're Welcome

I finished my craft project. When I last reported on this attempt to create replicas of the $7.99 Easter-themed Welcome sign that I saw at Michaels, I was somewhat alarmed that the cost-per-unit had reached $55. Well, I ended up spending approximately $240 on supplies, for a total of $60 per sign. This, of course, does not include labor. My friend Theresa and I spent most of Sunday afternoon painting the letters. Connecting the letters with wire kept me occupied throughout the entire Academy Awards red carpet pre-show and ceremony. I spent a couple hours cutting fabric on Monday evening, and tonight I fired up the glue gun and spent an hour affixing all the buttons. I guess that's about 13 hours of man-power. Assuming a modest wage of, say, $10 an hour, the cost per sign is $92.50.

Theresa offered to sell my signs at her booth in the upcoming craft fair at the Laguna Beach Women's Club. As lovely as my signs are, I suspect that at $100 each they are unlikely to fly off the shelves. No worries. I always had intended to give them as gifts to VERY LUCKY recipients.

In the mean time, I need suggestions for something I can do with the four jars of leftover paint in pink, green, tan, and eggshell!

No comments:

Post a Comment