March in Houston is synonymous with the Livestock Show and Rodeo, which is a month-long extravaganza of all things Texan. I'm thinking BBQ contests, livestock auctions, calf scrambles, concerts, chuck wagon races, bull riding, and steer wrestling (as a spectator, not a participant!). Or we could pay a visit to the 660-acre Coach Farm in upstate New York next summer. Thanks to the farm's 900 Alpine French dairy goats, the farm produces fresh and aged artisan cheese that is sold in upscale restaurants and specialty shops in New York City. Miles and Lillian Cahn, the founders of the famous Coach line of leather handbags, initially purchased the farm as a weekend getaway. It eventually became clear that they needed to choose whether to spend their time running the handbag business or running the farm. They chose to run the farm.
I've also been thinking that I'm overdue for a visit to my dad's family farm in southern Minnesota. But as it currently is a balmy 5 degrees below zero in those parts, I can wait until spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment