Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Prerequisite Pursuit

Back in college, I was this close to choosing a geology major (because geology rocks, hee hee). The only thing that came between me and my mineralogy was the prerequisite physics course. As I recall, the required physics class began at some ungodly hour, like 7AM, several days a week, for two full semesters. Even then, I had the good sense to know that a 7AM commitment was utterly unrealistic for me. It probably was more like 8AM, but even so. And this, my friend, is why I decided to pursue a career that did not require early morning physics labs.

But here I am years later embarking on a delightful new hobby, English horseback riding, only to be faced with another dreaded prerequisite: yoga. Well, concurrent requisite is more accurate. And it's not exactly required. It's merely recommended for flexibility, balance, and core strength--traits possessed by good riders.

Eghh. Yoga? Really?

I know everyone does yoga these days (if they're not doing pilates), especially here in California. I just personally hate it. Call me old-school, but there's something about a room full of strangers exhaling hot breath all over the place, bending into unattractive positions, and flashing their bare feet with dirty soles. I can't even think about bikram yoga, which is done in a room that's heated to a minimum of 105 degrees. I'm not at all a germaphobe but...ewww. I looked into private yoga lessons, but they cost about as much as the riding lessons. The Wrangler is so not one of those stereotypical husbands that throws fits when the wife spends a little dough, but when I casually mentioned adding private yoga lessons to the mix, I did get a lecture of sorts on not wasting money. Apparently, smelly group lessons are the, as the Wrangler says, "non-stupid" option for someone who may be a wife, and who may live in Orange County, but who is not one of the Real Housewives of Orange County.

But I can't let my fear of group yoga stand in the way of good horsemanship. Yoga isn't a physics lab, and group lessons won't be that bad. They can't be that bad. I just hope they aren't at 7AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment