Monday, September 6, 2010

The Maine Event

I've finished the research, I've attended the seminars and conferences, I've gone on the haycations and done the dude ranch thing, I've completed the online classes, and I've read the books and blogs of other working stiffs who haven't quit their day jobs but are trying to piece together small farm or ranch operations. Now it's time for the next step. I've put together a whirlwind trip to see the not-so-simple life in action. We'll be hitting hotspots in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and the New England-esque parts of upstate New York. We'll be stopping at Consider Bardwell Farm (which I first read about in Hay Fever) and the Beekman 1802 merchantile (of both the Fabulous Beekman Boys and Bucolic Plague fame). Most exciting for me is a planned visit with Jenna, the author of Made from Scratch, at her Cold Antler Farm. She has promised to give me the low-down on keeping sheep.

I've also planned tours of two farms in Woodstock, Vermont: Billings Farm and Museum (a working dairy farm with all kinds of activities, events, and programs for visitors) and Sugarbush Farm (a working cheese and maple syrup farm). I'm not exactly dragging the Wrangler kicking and screaming on this trip, but I'm throwing in a tee time for him, just for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment