I've been threatening to get a cow for a while. Goats are fun, and I have no doubt that I'll love having a couple around the farm once I figure out the fencing situation, but I still haven't acquired a taste for goat's milk. I'm currently engrossed in Philip Hasheider's Family Cow Handbook, which has affirmed my belief that this family needs a beautiful, docile, Jersey cow. Speaking of cows...out here in the country, we stumble upon interesting things all the time. On our way home from lunch today, the Wrangler and I just happened to see a cattle roping competition taking place at one of the many nearby riding stables. I'd never seen a roping event. In Montana we gathered cattle and did some team penning, but neither gathering nor penning involves roping. It was hard to not feel the excitement today, as each pair of riders burst out of the gate and tried to lasso the cow within a matter of seconds. But the sport quickly became difficult to watch because I felt so bad for the poor cows! It also made me wonder about team penning. Even though there are no ropes involved, I'm sure the cows don't like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment