One night about a month ago, while I was trying to read and wind down before bed, the noisy racket on the roof seemed exceptionally loud. "That's it! I've had it with these crows!" I slammed my book shut, arose from the bed, and pointed to the fireplace. "Turn it on and crank up the gas," I directed the Wrangler, my voice low, slow, and evil, enunciating each syllable.
Wondering what had possessed his animal-loving wife, the same gal who gets upset upon receiving ASPCA mailings with photos of sad puppies, the Wrangler had no intention of toasting any crows. "Hold on, I'll go outside and see what's up."
After about 10 minutes, the Wrangler came storming back. "They're owls! Owls! The crows are gone. The owls are huge and amazing and beautiful! They're flying back and forth from the chimney to the trees and have enormous wingspans! And you were going to turn on the fireplace!" As if on cue, the rooftop racked stopped and we heard a gentle, "Hoot, hoot." I guess everyone is a little noisy on moving day.
I was sheepish indeed. "I really wasn't going to turn on the fireplace."
We love the soft hoot of the owls and watching them dart back and forth in the night sky. We're happy to have them as our upstairs neighbors, although sometimes the hooting does make it a little hard to sleep. I turn on the TV, and they quiet down immediately. They must be like me and enjoy falling asleep to old episodes of Seinfeld.
No comments:
Post a Comment