Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Let There Be Light...Seriously

For three times the cost of standard Christmas lights, I decided to be a Friend of the Environment and purchased solar-powered outdoor Christmas lights. (This, despite the likely environmental damage associated with FedEx-ing in a Fraser Fir from Michigan. But if you know me even a little, then you know my stance on having a decent Christmas tree.) The Wrangler balked at the cost of said solar lights, but I remained resolute. I'm trying to get off the grid whenever doing so seems reasonable. (For example, composting toilet = unreasonable.) I enticed him by noting that he wouldn't have to mess around with extension cords.

He dutifully wrapped several strands around each lamppost along our driveway. I couldn't wait for darkness to fall. Three...two..one...I ran outside to view the spectacular light show.

Oh.

"I guess we should have gone with the regular lights," I admitted, crestfallen and coveting thy neighbors' blinding LED display. It's no exaggeration to say that it's hard to tell whether our lights are even on. I was especially irritated that we'd paid so much more for so much less.

Ever the optimist, the Wrangler wasn't daunted. "Well, if the power goes out, our lights will be the brightest in the neighborhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment