I spent some time this weekend completing the paperwork to register my herd name and goats with the National Pygmy Goat Association. After a great deal of thought, I chose Leaping Goat Farm as my herd name. I considered Rainy Day Ranch, but it felt wrong since goats absolutely detest rain.
A color side-view photo of each goat must accompany the registration forms. Let me tell you how difficult it is to get a goat to stand still long enough to get a good side-view shot. It took me about an hour to photograph all four goats in this manner, and even then I had to have the Wrangler step in and help. Turns out that goat portrait photography is a two-person job. First, goats do not pose. Second, goats do not understand the command "stay." Third, all the goats want to be in on the fun--they don't believe in letting just one goat get all the attention. Every time I had a picture-perfect shot, another goat would run in front of the camera at the last second. When I tried to separate a goat from the herd, quite the ruckus ensued. I got a side-view all right...a side view of a goat screaming. When a goat screams, his eyes bulge and he sticks out his tongue. It's a comical sight, but perhaps not what the National Pygmy Goat Association is looking for.
After about an hour, I had an adequate side-view shot of each goat. I uploaded the four files to the Target Photo site for printing. I happily went to Target today to pick up my prints. Notice a particular scruffy white monster lurking in the background and marring the otherwise perfect shot of Oscar? Ugh. I'm sending in the photo anyway. I hope the National Pygmy Goat Association registration director has a sense of humor.
No comments:
Post a Comment