Thursday, May 3, 2012

Goats Galore

It's been a week since my last goat update, and I'm happy to report that all is well. Neko's weight fluctuates, but she's more or less about seven pounds. She's more playful now, which is a good sign. She bounces on the little trampoline, plays on the wine barrels, and isn't afraid to get things going with the Big Boys. I've begun weaning Grover, who now is 12 pounds. He's down to just two bottles a day, and next week he will get only one per day. The Big Boys will hit the 20-pound mark this weekend. All four goats sleep in the same doghouse now. When I arrive at the goat pen in the morning, four heads peek out and it's chaos as each goat tries to be the first one to squeeze out of the doghouse.

Their personalities are still developing, but giant Oscar is snuggly and loves attention. Elmo is affectionate as well as dynamic and comes up with the big ideas during playtime. He and Oscar are very athletic and love to chase, leap, jump, and do fancy twists in the air. Grover is feisty. He throws huge fits while he's waiting for his turn to be bottle-fed: he head-butts the Big Boys, stamps his hooves, and bleats up a storm. Neko is just starting to come out of her shell. All of the goats have shed their shyness and enjoy playing with people.

Before I left town last weekend for a short trip to Minneapolis, I typed up a nine-page goat care instruction manual for the Wrangler. He dutifully checked off tasks on the list for Friday but I don't think he consulted the manual at all on Saturday or Sunday. The goats were happy and healthy when I returned, so I guess it's okay that the Wrangler failed to adhere to my hour-by-hour plan or write copious notes in the barn journal. It seems that the Wrangler's style of goat management is a bit more relaxed than mine, but both styles get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment