Thursday, April 26, 2012
Neko
I weigh tiny Neko everyday to make sure she's growing. It's been a week since I brought her home, and she still was just five pounds when I weighed her this morning. Grover is nearly twice her size and has gained a pound. I texted our wonderful goat girl (who, incidentally, told me that she hated being called the goat girl in school--sorry Breanna!), and she came right over, armed with all kinds of supplies.
She brought a bottle of frozen Boer goat's milk, as well as a huge jug of fresh Boer goat's milk (so fresh it was still warm) mixed with a couple spoonfuls of powered colostrum. She brought some probiotic paste and a syringe loaded with an antibiotic. We took Neko's temperature, which was 101.5 and, thankfully, more or less normal for a goat. Since her temperature was normal, she didn't need the antibiotic. We gave her some of the probiotic paste. Breanna left instructions to give Neko some probiotic paste each day, to add colostrum powder to her bottle, and to increase her bottle feedings from three per day to four.
Neko seemed to enjoy the extra midday feeding, and I was thrilled to see her actually playing in the goat run late this afternoon. She hopped up on the barrel and did a few joyful jumps. When I saw her, I did the same. I'm hoping that the extra 4 oz. of milk, colostrum powder, and probiotic paste will do the trick. I want her to be a happy, healthy, chunky little monkey like Oscar and Elmo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment