Wednesday, April 11, 2012

That's Not a Mess. That's "London Bohemian."

Unless I'm expecting guests, my stacks of books and piles of magazines can be found pretty much everywhere around here. I suppose things would be tidier if I embraced the Nook or Kindle, but that's never going to happen. What the Wrangler doesn't understand is that my stacks and piles are rather organized. It might look like clutter, but I actually know where everything is.

The other night I was flipping though Town & Country magazine (to which I've subscribed since I was in grade school; old habits die hard) and was delighted to read Gully Wells' description of "one of America's most intellectually exciting households." He was referring to the Andrew Cockburn family, whose "style of decor is what you might call London bohemian...endless piles of books, magazines, and newspapers, slightly crooked lampshades--in other words, very English and a long way from the manicured chic of their neighbors. No wonder Mick [Jagger] felt right at home [with the Cockburns]."

Excellent! So there you have it. Endless stacks and piles are not messy; they're a decorating style!

No comments:

Post a Comment