Thursday, July 23, 2009

Just Bead It


Earlier this summer, I spotted a beautiful beaded necklace in one of the boutiques here in town. I don't wear much jewelry--I'm allergic to metals, and I dislike fussy things. But this necklace had a very simple design of shiny burgundy beads interwoven with small, sparkly crystal beads. Price? $140. "Whatever," I told my friend. "I could make this for, like, $20."

Determined to prove that boutique prices are for suckers, I dutifully signed up for the Beading 101 class at the local craft store. Upon registering, I was slightly dismayed to receive a lengthy supply list. I needed only some string, a clasp, and two types of beads, right? Apparently not. I purchased the required "Bead Bucket" and now own three types of pliers, an assortment of odd needle-like sticks purportedly called tube crimps, several rolls of wire, and some strange looking pins.

Noting that the speciously named Bead Bucket did not actually contain any beads, I stopped by the Bead Lounge to look for shiny burgundy and sparkly crystal beads. The Bead Lounge did not disappoint; I found the exact beads I was searching for! Unfortunately, I also found that beads are expensive.

Beading 101 Class = $45
Bead Bucket = $54.38
Beads = $90.50
Grand total = $189.88
Number of beautiful beaded necklaces completed by me = 0

No comments:

Post a Comment