Saturday, July 25, 2009

Technical Assistance

Around the time I finished law school, I started the veterinary technician associate's degree program at Purdue University. It's a distance learning program, with 35 internet-based core courses and 17 clinical labs. Courses include anatomy, physiology, parasitology, and clinical pathology. The clinical labs, which are supervised by a local licensed veterinarian, include small, large, and equine nursing and anesthesia, diognostic imaging, sterilization techniques, pharmacy, and necropsy.

The distance learning format lets me take as few or as many courses as I can manage, skip a semester here and there, and "attend" class when work allows. Granted, this flexibility means that it will take me years and years to finish the program. I only have six classes under my belt and, truth be told, I've been on hiatus for a while. But I'm not sweating it. Taking the occasional vet tech class or two is a constructive hobby. I'm learning things that are useful to pet owners and hobby farmers, I might be able to volunteer as a vet tech at an animal hospital or zoo, and...I like studying and taking tests. It's an illness, but the Wrangler loves me anyway.

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/vtdl/vtdlhome/

No comments:

Post a Comment