Sunday, July 19, 2009

Not-So-EZ-Bake Oven

We met some friends for dinner at their campsite near Trabuco Canyon yesterday. I envisioned making a blueberry cobbler in a dutch oven hanging over a roaring campfire or nestled among smoldering coals. I did enough research to learn that Lodge makes the best dutch ovens, and I bought a cast iron beauty at the local Sports Authority yesterday morning. Unfortunately, I had not done enough research to ascertain that dutch oven cooking requires a some skill. It is not as simple as dumping some berries and crumb topping into a pot and simmering over the fire.

I didn't realize that the dutch oven must be seasoned (coated in olive oil and baked in an oven for at least an hour). Nor had I anticipated that important peripheral equipment is necessary to maneuver the 14-pound cast iron pot and lid among the fire and coals--for example, long-handled metal tongs are used to handle hot charcoal, and an iron lid lifter prevents burned fingers and also keeps hot ashes from being dropped in the food. Moreover, it turns out that I had purchased a flat-bottomed dutch oven for traditional stove and oven cooking instead of a camp dutch oven with legs. The legs keep the pot from resting directly on coals and allow for better heat circulation.

Although I scrapped my dutch oven cobbler plans for the campfire dinner last night, I am not discouraged. I bought the International Dutch Oven Society's Field Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking from Novice to Champion and am going to find the leggier version of my dutch oven. I vow to wow the Six-Button Cowgirls with my amazing campfire cooking on our upcoming trip to Sombrero Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment