"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." -- George Eliot
Most people seem to love their birthday month, and I'm no exception. But even if my birthday didn't fall in October, I still would love this beautiful month. Before I moved to California, my birthday involved quintessential fall activities. A few years ago the Wrangler planned one of my favorite birthdays of all time--a trifecta of wine tasting, horseback riding, and apple-picking in the Virginia countryside. He rented a commercial van and hauled a group of us to the Stillhouse Vineyard, the Marriott Ranch (see the photo below), and the Stribling Orchard near Hume, Virginia. There were games and prizes on the happy road trip. We were treated to a light rain shower on the horse trails, and the weather cleared by the time we arrived back at the ranch for a gourmet picnic.

This year I celebrated my birthday here in southern California, which does not know autumn. It was 89 degrees. I was inconsolable. After a few hours of my moping and grumping, an exasperated Wrangler sent me off to bed early without any birthday cake.
I think you guys should come to Colorado for your next birthday. We can recreate your 29th birthday party in Virginia.
ReplyDelete