Sunday, October 25, 2009

Furry Friends

My posts have been a bit sparse this month. We recently suffered a great loss here at the Rainy Day Ranch. A few weeks ago, we said goodbye to our beautiful and beloved 11-year old Doberman. I've had scant enthusiasm for projects, crafts, and activities aside from hanging out with our Jack Russell, Fenway, who has been doing his very best to comfort the Wrangler and me. I haven't wanted to do, think, or read about anything that doesn't involve furry, four-legged friends.

Tonight we headed up the hill for a walk in the part of the Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park that reaches into Laguna Beach. The city's Firefighting Goats were hard at work! Laguna Beach has used goat herds since 1990 as part of its fuel-reduction and vegetation management program (wildfire prevention). The goat herd, which ranges from 75 to 600 goats, depending on need, moves to different locations around the city over a period of 18 months and costs the city about $125,000 a year. The financial and environmental benefits are significantly superior to chemical and mechanical processes. A movable goat pen, electrical fencing, and a herding dog prevent the goats from straying and keep the coyotes at bay. And the 20+ precious goat babies are a joy to watch as they run, jump, play, and pester their moms.

Turns out that Fenway loves goats! He approached with caution and actually nuzzled a goat baby through the fence (but backed off quickly and ran under the Wrangler's legs when the kid's mom threatened to buck him). I felt calm and content watching the herd graze quietly. The serene visit with these furry, firefighting friends on the hill sharply contrasts the artificial and chaotic scene at the pumpkin patch petting zoo where we picked out our pumpkins today.

I didn't have my camera, but I'm going to leave work a little early tomorrow to head back up the hill before it's too dark. I'll post pictures tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment