Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Logistics

Hellhole Canyon Preserve

Well, I have not heard from the second breeder yet, so I currently am expecting only two sheep. I hope that this changes, though! Two sheep really aren't enough. They are herd animals and need companions. It's good to have a spare sheep or two, just in case.

I'm getting slightly anxious about finding a place to live with pasture for the sheep. I try to remind myself that I have two full months, but I am prone to worrying these days. I considered moving to northern San Diego county, which isn't too far from work. There are plenty of ranches at reasonable prices when you're about 30 minutes east of the 5. The area always has struck me as unbearably hot, dry, dusty, and prone to wildfires. But, just like the parents who eschew their hip urban lives in trendy but sketchy neighborhoods to raise their young in the comfort of the 'burbs, perhaps I too must make concessions in order to give my little lambs a proper home on the range. The hot, dry, dusty, wildfire-prone range.

Resigned to this fate, I put my chin up and started looking for homes in the area that still is within reasonable commuting distance from work. I located the community on Google Maps and noticed that it is near a large nature preserve. "How nice," I thought, zeroing in. Oh. The preserve's official name is Hellhole Canyon. I paused to consider. "Yes, my thoughts exactly." On to the next plan.

(Actually, as you can see above, the area looks perfectly lovely for a desert-terrain type of cowgirl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment