Friday, April 1, 2011

Wether or Not

Huh. The Wrangler took the news of our impending road trip and the possible doubling of our flock in stride. Perhaps he's grown accustomed to my little surprises, or maybe he's just thinking, "Well, it could be worse." At any rate, we have a sheep pick-up plan. All we need now is some pasture.

We were expecting two sheep, but now it looks like we'll be getting four. This can't be much different than parents who are expecting a baby and learn that they're having twins, right? You just adjust to the idea and then start preparing. There's never any question that you'll welcome the extra bundle of joy with open arms. This past winter, I researched breeders of Southdown baby doll sheep and reserved two sheep from a reputable farm. The thing is, breeders can't easily predict how many and what type of lambs will be born; they can't exactly guarantee that everyone who reserves some sheep will get what they asked for. Thus, we buyers just have to wait for lambing season and hope we get the call. Waiting lists and uncertainty make me nervous. I decided to err on the side of prudence and reserve sheep with a second breeder as well. Both breeders had emphasized that their waiting lists are long. Reserving a total of four sheep seemed like the safest way to ensure that I'd receive two. Unfortunately, the farms I fell in love with are both located a couple days' drive from Southern California. I suspected that the Wrangler might balk at the prospect of a two-day road trip with sheep in the back of an SUV (they will be too little to travel in a trailer), and so I just might have glossed over some details.

I've been, as my dad would say, "hangin' tight" these past few months, reading my sheep books and making my way through the home study sheep course. And then I got the all-important email yesterday. My sheep will be ready. I had requested two wethers, one black and one white. Because I was the first to respond to the breeder's announcement, I have been assured of my picks. They will be ready to leave their home near Branson, Missouri, on any Wednesday or Saturday in June.

I sent an APB to some of my contacts to inquire whether anyone knows of a sheep-friendly hotel chain for the drive home. Oddly enough, I did not receive any recommendations. I did, however, receive invitations to post-up for the night at the homes of friends along the way. Charmaine, the plucky Six-Button Cowgirl in Denver even offered to come along for the Branson-Denver leg.

"Here's what we'll do, " I told her excitedly. "I'll fly you into Branson and will meet you there for a night of fun, and then we'll pick up the sheep in the morning and drive the 13 hours to Denver in one-shot. The Wrangler will fly to Denver, we'll spend the night at your place with the sheep, and then we'll do the 15-hour drive home in one day." It did occur to me that the discussion concerning "meeting in Branson for a night of fun before picking up the sheep" probably had never occurred between two female attorneys under age 40.

Charmaine didn't blink an eye. "If Branson is anything like how it is portrayed on The Simpsons, I have no doubt that there's fun to be had." She followed up with another email notifying me of her husband's gracious offer to refrain from mowing the lawn between now and then. Clearly, our Denver hosts are appropriately focused on the needs of the sheep.

The other breeder, located in Washington state, send word yesterday that she will notify me of my exact place on the waiting list next week when all of her lambs have arrived. When it rains, it pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment