Out here in the sticks, there are no streetlights and there are long stretches of undeveloped land. We encounter coyotes regularly; more often than not, the Wrangler and I see or hear them on our evening walks with the dogs. The coyotes in our area are big and beautiful, with full and shiny coats--not at all like the scrappy, mangy-looking coyotes we used to see in Laguna Beach now and then. The coyotes have always been afraid of us and kept their distance. It was a little unsettling to hear that coyotes were brave enough to surround two adults.
Another couple noted that the coyotes seem desperate. "We're used to coyotes, and we're used to coyotes howling in the distance," Randy said. "But lately we're hearing them very close to the house, and the howls sound crazy and frantic." He suspects that the coyotes are severely overcrowded and food is scarce.
For our part, we're finding piles of coyote scat on the patio and in the driveway. Lately the dogs have been barking more than usual at night, and we think that they're seeing or hearing coyotes just outside the windows. Clearly, the coyotes are coming very close to the house and letting us know that this is their territory.
It was suggested at brunch today that a good way to keep the coyotes at bay is to, ahem, mark one's territory. "You mean let the dogs mark in the shrubbery?" I asked innocently. "Not exactly," our neighbor hinted. Everyone looked at the Wrangler. Oh, boy.
We wouldn't have to worry about what the neighbors would think if they happened to see him in action--after all, they were the ones who suggested it.
I was assured that this method is at least organic if not hygienic.
Nonetheless, I think I'd prefer the coyote scat on the patio as opposed to...ah, never mind. No need to go into detail.
No comments:
Post a Comment