Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lone Star Starr

Just back from my first trip to Houston. I've been to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, but I'd never been to Houston, the self-proclaimed Energy Capitol of the World. I was both impressed and a little disappointed. Clearly, I'd seen Urban Cowboy one too many times. I must confess that I expected to see lots of real cowboys, fancy cowgirls, and rich oil moguls with cigars and white suits making deals in the shadow of an oil rig. Instead, I found myself in a livable but ordinary city with friendly but ordinary people. I may have overheard a few rich oil moguls making deals in the lobby at the Four Seasons, but they most definitely were not wearing white suits. 

Feeling a bit dejected, I met an old friend for brunch in the trendy area along Washington Avenue. My spirits lifted as I tucked into my carne asada y huevos. After brunch, we walked across the street to the Wabash Antiques and Feed Store. Now this was more like it! Perhaps the New York Times describes it best: "The eclectic 100-year-old business is straight out of 'Petticoat Junction.' Antique Texas stars, boot-shaped planters and imported pottery share a roof with caged chickens and rabbits, beekeeping supplies, plants and beer (to loosen up the customers)." Don't you just love a city in which you can, in one swoop, have brunch at a hotspot and pick up a few pullets for your urban coop?

No comments:

Post a Comment