Even out here in the country, it's hard to find time to relax. (Real farmers probably would say, "Especially out here in the country, it's hard to find time to relax.") My day started with an early morning orientation for volunteers at Zoofari, the non-profit organization dedicated to housing non-releasable or confiscated wildlife.The Wrangler and I spent part of the afternoon walking the farm's five acres. Sporting our new muck boots (mine are a pleasing hot pink) and wide-brimmed hats, and armed with the walking stick formerly known as a golf club, we checked the state of the gardens, fencing, orchard, and avocado grove. Our friend, an expert gardener, from Laguna Beach is stopping in tomorrow to give us some much needed direction on mid-summer planting. From what I've read, it's not too late to plant tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers, and watermelon, but we'll see what our green-thumbed friend says tomorrow.
In preparation for our visitors, the Wrangler and I dashed over to Temecula this evening to round up some local ingredients: olive oil from olives hand grown, picked, and pressed by the folks at the Temecula Olive Oil Company, a bottle of wine from a nearby vineyard, fresh honey, and strawberry jam. I'll make popovers and a caprese salad (with homemade mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, and home grown basil). The Wrangler purchased some locally made salsa to mix in with his fresh guacamole.
Tonight I still have to make flashcards to learn the names and species of all the exotic animals at Zoofari, finish up some lawyering, and sketch a blueprint for the barn owl box. It could be a long night. I'm brewing some (caffeinated) tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment