Friday, March 30, 2012

Goodnight

It's 10PM on a Friday and this cowgirl is calling it a night.

Three nights, one day, and one hundred zip-ties later, the Wrangler's fence project is complete. Time will tell whether it can withstand two goats who want to get out and two Jack Russells who want to get in.

My hands are a mess of cuts and calluses after a week of wrestling with chicken wire, steel posts, and nuts and bolts. Hopefully the goats' nighttime pen is cozy and coyote-proof.

The video baby monitor is installed. The camera, with night vision, is wired to the top of the pen, and the monitor is on my bedside table. Fenway has spent the night watching it with interest.

There's fresh hay in the feeders, cold water in the buckets, baking soda in the pan, a mineral lick in the tray, and a giant container of animal crackers at the ready. As of today Oscar and Elmo are weaned from their mama. They'll have no more milk, but they'll follow the diet required for growing Pygmy goat wethers.

The kid's climber play set is assembled and in the newly fenced goat run, along with other toys.

The goat pen is filled with fresh wood shavings, a cute dog house, and a fluffy blanket.

Despite our best efforts, our setup looks a bit makeshift. That's what happens when you don't have a barn and don't plan on staying. I started out thinking, "What would Martha Stewart do?" but at this point I just hope that our goat enclosures are functional.

As for the goats? I'll give you the full rundown tomorrow. For now I'll leave you with this question: what has four legs and screams bloody murder? Answer: a baby goat on his first night away from his mama. My heart breaks. I'm so glad we didn't separate twins. At least they have each other.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Cowgirl! From the goats, to the homemade fencing, to the callouses, I think you're starting to fill your boots.

    ReplyDelete