Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Things To Do on Your Lunch Break

Look how big Oscar is now! And don't miss Elmo (standing in the tub).

Gosh, I remember the days not so long ago when, as a relatively young lawyer in Washington, DC, lunch was a time for snappy conversation with fashionable friends at a bustling hotspot. These days, my lunch activities are vastly different--just as fun but perhaps more furry than fashionable. Moto's barn is not far from the office, so I frequently stop in see him around noon. And today during lunch I added a couple goats to my herd...

It began with a text from the goat girl this morning. She had adorable twin pygmy goats born just hours ago. Only 10 hours old, they already seem to be social and inquisitive. Was I interested? Truthfully, I wasn't sure about adding more pygmy pets just now, especially since our farm search has stalled, but I agreed to stop by over lunch. If nothing else, it would be a chance to see Oscar and Elmo.

When I arrived at noon the goat barn was filled with crazy, joyful, happily chaotic sounds and sights. Oscar and Elmo still look like babies, but they look and feel sturdy. Elmo is a lap goat and loves to be held and petted. Oscar is a little timid but runs, jumps, and wrestles with the other goat kids. As I held the precious brand new baby goats and watched the 20+ other goats hopping around, I realized that we need more than two. Goats are herd animals. Two goats really are not a herd, right?

I left the barn with a full heart...and empty pockets (having paid for the two brand new babies, a yet-unnamed boy and girl who will be ready to leave their mama in May). Although the rest of the afternoon was devoted to legal research, memories of my fun-filled lunch hour lingered--literally. My clothes did smell rather goat-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment