Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Cleaning Lady

Sunday mornings I volunteer in the Animal Husbandry department of the Ocean Institute in Dana Point. As an aquarist aide, my job primarily is to clean the fish tanks, which is as glamorous as it sounds. I also prepare delicious meals of raw chopped squid, shrimp, and sardine fillets for the animals. These include an eel, an octopus, a huge sea hare, sea stars, little sand sharks, rays, skates, sea cucumbers, and giant lobsters. Mmmm, lobster.

The job does have its moments. A shark threw up an unfortunate amount of water and slime into my face while I was peering into its open mouth to inspect its goiter. I've been shocked a few times while working with wet electric cords. I once developed an odd rash on my hand. I can't prove it was from cleaning out the parasites from the quarantine tanks, but I have my s'picions.

I don't know that being a volunteer aquarist aide is particularly urban cowgirl-esque, but I think it's Rainy Day Ranch material because it's definitely not a desk job.

No comments:

Post a Comment