Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Made from Scratch

Last night I bought a wonderful book, Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life, by Jenna Woginrich. I couldn't put it down until I finished it early this morning. Jenna is a 20-something urban cowgirl who works in an office by day and lives in a rented house. Like many of us urban cowgirls, she dreams of owning a country ranch with amazing views. But she's focusing on the things that she can do until she's able to quit her desk job. For example, she taught herself how to bake, sew, spin wool, raise chickens, keep bees, grow vegetables, and play the fiddle. As she states, if the world stopped, her life at home would continue pretty much as usual.

Ironically, homesteading (producing her own food, tending to her small livestock, etc.) made Jenna happier at work. So maybe all I need to do to keep the BigLaw blues at bay is get some chickens and bees...

No comments:

Post a Comment