Saturday, May 2, 2009

Urban Camping

I haven't been camping since an ill-fated trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota in 1997. Since then, I've tried camping on two occasions and ended up with hives both times. I've been told that there's no such things as being allergic to camping, but I'm not convinced. At any rate, lawyering day after day has driven me to try to move past any real or psychosomatic allergies to camping. Who wouldn't dream of a little fresh air and solitude after a long week of reviewing energy services agreements?

Just as I was contemplating how best to ease back into the camping game (not that I ever was in it to begin with), our friends hosted a night of camping without the camping. They rented a campsite in Trabuco Canyon, which is just 30 minutes away. We had a delicious outdoor dinner, made old-school treats (s'mores and campfire pies), and enjoyed the company of our pets and friends as we lounged by the fire. At around 11 PM, we headed home for warm showers and a good night's sleep in our own comfy beds. Now that's the way to camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment