Friday, August 28, 2009

Class Act

The local Community Services catalog of fall classes arrived today, and I've tabbed and highlighted about 12 courses. If history repeats itself, I'll register for four courses; attend two (but, sadly, drop out of one right around the time the instructor starts to know me well enough to wonder why I disappeared); and complete just one.

There's always a dance class in the mix, because what urban cowgirl doesn't love tap dancing or cardio hip-hop? There's the requisite craft class--Party Table Designs! Decoupage Vases!--and the more random offering, such as Found Objects. As the course description instructs, "Make your own gifts with found objects this year. Don't throw away those odds and ends and broken pieces. Bring them to class and turn them into art pieces that can be given as gifts." I'm sure my family will be amazed and delighted to receive transformed "found objects" for Christmas. Mom, Dad, siblings, and in-laws, consider yourselves warned.

I always contemplate a much-needed guitar class. I have become an expert at chord cheating and workarounds. For example, a D/F# is a pain in the you-know-what, so I just play a D. And who needs an F#m when a G will suffice? If only there were a good substitute for an F chord. I might enroll the pets in dog training classes. Alas, they tend to be held early weekend mornings, which means that I'll sleep in while the Wrangler ends up being the single parent in class. Single dads always are a hit on the puppy school scene, though, so don't feel sorry for him. I know the drill: I'll drag my absentee-mom self to graduation in the 8th week, and the other moms will exchange disapproving looks. (I did attend a few sessions of doggie yoga once, but both the Wrangler and I dropped out after the second week. Doggie yoga entailed spending a good hour massaging our Doberman on a mat in what I swear was someone's garage. We sort of weirded ourselves out and have never really spoken of it again.)

Photography, cooking, singing, tennis, watercolor painting, cake decorating...so many options, so little time. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok - found object Xmas gifts it is! I am already starting to search for that special something in the basement. Maybe just more logs on the fire to heat the cabin would be a better gift to our holiday guests!

    ReplyDelete