Saturday, August 29, 2009

Wildfire Season

While summer is drawing to a close in many places (my brother's family in Minnesota bundled up in sweatshirts and sweaters as they headed to the state fair today), things are just heating up here in Southern California. In these early fall months, hot and dry Santa Ana winds replace the marine layer.

Today as the Wrangler and I drove up to L.A. for Ethiopian food in the Little Ethiopia neighborhood, we could see the billows of smoke from the wildfires in the San Gabriel mountain/Pasadena area. The clouds of volcanic-looking smoke seemed eerie against the otherwise blue skies. Walking to the restaurant I got some good shots of the smoke seemingly rising from the Hollywood sign.

Until I moved to California, I relished the hallmarks of autumn--crisp weather, the smell of bonfires, the sounds of high school football games, cozy sweaters, and of course vibrant fall foliage. Here, autumn means temps in the 90s, the smell of wildfires, the sounds of helicopters and air conditioning units, sticky skin in damp clothes, and of course dead, dried out foliage. 

A part of me has started to love L.A., though. Don't tell anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment