Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lazy Days

I've been a bit absent lately due to technical issues. My Dell imploded just nine months after I bought it. It's still under warranty, but I've been too lazy to get it fixed. I'm also too lazy to bring home my work laptop each night. (If you sense a pattern of sloth-like behavior, I won't deny that you're on to something.) We have two Macs around the house, so I'd been relying on those. But as of late, the Macs are acting up. Don't get the Wrangler started on why we have such bad luck with electronics around here. Fingers tend to get pointed in my direction.

I've been making lots of cheese but haven't matched the success of my maiden endeavor. One batch didn't curdle because I failed to discern that my thermometer permanently read 90 degrees after I dropped it; another batch was too sour after I inadvertently used 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons instead of teaspoons of citric acid; one batch came out too stringy and dry when I used skim milk instead of whole milk. What can I say? We artisans suffer for our craft.

After three weeks in a row of red-eye flights to and from the east coast, my schedule looks quiet and things are returning to normal. The Wrangler and I, along with some friends both old and new, are training for a marathon in December. I have signed up for three marathons in the past and have never come close to actually running one. But this time, I've decided to do just a 1/2 marathon, which makes my goal a lot less overwhelming. Baby steps.

In the meantime, I am counting the days until September 8 (the day after Labor Day) when the crowds, tourists, and traffic dissipate until next June. The town returns to normal, and we locals share a collective, happy sigh.

1 comment:

  1. How is the Ranch? Any cattle escape? Where is the Wrangler? No word from Starr lately...from the lonely sailor

    ReplyDelete