Thursday, August 13, 2009

Foster Child (By Guest Contributer Charmaine)

There's no sweeter sight to see than a happy dog, other than maybe a happy puppy. We have three happy dogs, and now we've temporarily got a new addition. She's 16 weeks old and her name is Tater, as in "You're so darn cute, I could just eat you up like a Tater Tot!" And she is. She has fit right into our home, bringing our number of people and dogs into even numbers. She wrestles with our youngest and most hyperactive dog, Grace Ironic; they take turns slobbering on each other. She plays tug of war with my husband's ugly shorts that the other Six-Button Cowgirl Girl, Kimtastic, once said resembled a rag she owned. Bless her furry little heart, she might just tear those shorts right off the mismatched man's body. She plods along side of me, sometimes hopping, sometimes skipping, always my shadow as I walk around the house and kitchen. The fact that I occasionally trip on her is no deterrent. She's content to be there by my side if I need anything (or drop any food, I suppose).

When she's 20-25 weeks old, she'll leave our foster home to go into full-time training to become a service dog for a disabled veteran. She's a quick learner and easy to please. She's only had one accident in one week. It's easy to love a dog who takes to potty training. The only problem is that she's so sweet and so easy to love. It may be hard to give her up. Look at this precious face. I must admit that I'm already practicing how I'll tell a man with severe PTSD the story about how she ran away and wouldn't come back.

--Charmaine

No comments:

Post a Comment