It occurred to me recently that most of my friends have artistic side businesses in addition to their day jobs. When they leave the office, they are professional writers, musicians, photographers, glassblowers, painters, sculptors, bakers and chefs, restorers of old cars, illustrators, and jewelry designers. One friend has her own line of beauty products. Another has her greeting cards in upscale boutiques. Although many of these pursuits are very profitable, most of these businesses were started due to a need for a creative outlet, not extra income. My artistic endeavors could never bring in money, and I haven't found anything for which I'd have enough passion to turn into a business. For now, I'm happy to try something for fun and then move on. This weekend I picked up an interesting book, Making Artisan Chocolates. I'm ordering some candy molds and cool packaging. I'm also trying another batch of layered soap. My first batch smelled like skunky beer. This time I'm using fancy organic glycerine with (you guessed it) goat's milk, instead of the cheap glycerine cubes I bought in a kit. Also on the to-do list is sewing mittens and stuffed animals made from old Fair Isle-patterned sweaters.
The cottage pretty much looks like a craft store threw up in it. Tables and desks are covered with supplies, and stacks of idea books threaten to topple over in every room. The Wrangler, who actually is a true artist and not a sloppy wannabe-artisan like I, never complains about my creative messes. In fact, he encourages them! Alas, he is not as accepting of my clothing-related messes.
No comments:
Post a Comment