Friday, September 4, 2009

Whatever Gets Your Goat

Urban chicken coops are so early-2009. I'm convinced that the next big thing is urban goats. Two years ago, Seattle famously passed an ordinance allowing residents to keep miniature goats as pets. It's not a new concept--it just needs to catch on.

The question is not "why would I get a goat?" The question really is "why wouldn't I get a goat?" Pygmy goat does are about two feet tall, weigh 35 to 60 pounds, and give about 1/2 a gallon of "extremely sweet and delicious" milk a day (so says the National Pygmy Goat Association, or NPGA). The NPGA also reports that pygmy milk is higher in calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron than milk from other breeds. Although goat's milk is not popular in the United States, more people drink goat's milk than cow's milk worldwide.

Pygmy goats are perfect for your urban yard--a modest 8' x 10' shed will house four adult pygmies. The four animals would need less than 1/2 an acre of fenced yard for grazing. Pygmies are peaceful, friendly, and quiet (with only an occasional, pleasant "baaa"). Neutered males (wethers) and does do not have the unpleasant smell associated with intact males.

After reading books like Goat Song and Farewell, My Subaru, which are in part love letters to the authors' goats, I simply can't wait to get my two pygmies. I have big plans for goat's milk products--homemade butter, cheese, ice cream, and soap. Of course the Wrangler suggested that I try some goat's milk first to see if I like it. Silly man. Even if I can't stand to drink a drop of goat's milk, I just know that I'll love my goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment