Saturday, September 5, 2009

Seeing Is Believing

I just got home from a party where I chatted with a couple who owns a successful brewery and has contemplated starting a creamery as well. I've already arranged for them to take my first litter of pygmy goat babies off my hands. This should please the Wrangler. On the way to the party, I had broken the news to him that the Rainy Day Ranch may end up with quite a few pygmy goats. After all, a goat doesn't produce milk until she has babies. I mentioned casually that we should plan for an eventual herd of about 12 goats. The Wrangler stated kindly but firmly that 12 goats sounds creepy, and two to four would be more manageable. This led to one minute of silent treatment (imposed by me and unnoticed by he). I don't want my baby goats going to just anybody. Who would we find to take them? I don't want them eaten or in the care of crazies.

The stars aligned, however. What are the chances of, just an hour later, running into a lovely couple who also dreams of artisan cheese? I will feel very confident entrusting them with my baby goats. To better understand my concerns, check out this adorable video. It is impossible to imagine that anyone who sees this will not jump immediately on the urban goat bandwagon.



1 comment:

  1. After visiting the 4-H barn at the Beltrami County Fair in the great north woods of Minnesota, the Thompson children zeroed in immediately on the pygmy goats. They too, pleaded for a new pet. However, due to space restrictions in the family SUV and an 18 hour road trip home, they left empty handed. Maybe they can come out to California for summer pygmy goat camp.

    ReplyDelete