Fall has arrived here in Laguna Beach! We're in the middle of a heat wave that is not due to break for another week and half. But I know that fall is here because the Laguna Nursery, famous among the locals for its elaborate seasonal decor, has brought out its giant pumpkins. Every year a few rowdy drunks tamper with the display and smash an artificial pumpkin or two. Thankfully, this does not discourage the Nursery.Instead of my usual wallowing in heartache for the splendor that is autumn in my beloved New England, I've decided to proceed with fall, Southern California be damned. I've retrieved the fall decorations from the attic. I've replaced the light and bright linens and towels with warm and cozy colors. The winter bedding is coming out of storage, and we'll just have to blast the air conditioner at night when we tuck under the down comforter. (I like nature and all that, but I've never claimed to be an environmentalist.)
The cottage is awash with the *rather heavy* scent of decorative pine cones. Seriously, the smell is a bit overwhelming. Our eyes are watering, and it's hard to concentrate. The Wrangler is being a Very Good Sport and has been careful not to utter even the tiniest complaint. I suspect he greatly prefers this make-the-best-of things attitude over my usual moping. The Wrangler's favorite weather girl on Channel 5 forecasts temps in the 90s on Tuesday, the official first day of fall, but that's not going to stop me from making a nice pot of chili and a homemade apple pie.
Welcome, fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment