Thursday, October 13, 2011

Antlerstock

I'm off to Vermont for a long weekend of fun, foliage, farming, and new friends. I'm taking a redeye flight, which I firmly believe is the most efficient way to fly east. I hope I'm not being too ambitious; my itinerary doesn't leave me much time to sleep.

The weekend begins with a lecture and book-signing by acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Jon Katz of Bedlam Farm, an author whose books I've read and enjoyed for years. Then it's off to Antlerstock at Cold Antler Farm. There are too many classes for one person to attend, so I've "narrowed" down my selection to cheese-making, soap-making, basic sheep care, basic chicken care, home wool processing, knitting, canning, intro to mountain music, herbalism, and sheep herding. The meals sound amazing--BBQ pork from nearby Flying Pig Farm (I avoid factory-farmed meat, but the pigs at Flying Pig Farm are humanely-raised in the woods and fields), hand-pressed apple cider, free-range egg quiches, and pizzas made with local cheeses. Although I usually shy away from crowds, this time I'm excited to meet the other 30 attendees who obviously must share my interest in hobby farming.

When asked what he'd do if I didn't make it back to California, the Wrangler promptly said that he'd send me a picture of my sad, lonely puppies every day. So, I guess I will do my best to catch the return flight on Sunday after all.

1 comment:

  1. I just can't wait to read the post about Antlerstock, especially your take on the commune.

    ReplyDelete