While channel surfing I stumbled upon a show on RFDTV ("Rural America's Most Important Network") on the Norwegian Fjord Horse. As the spouse of a proud Norwegian, I paused to learn more about this small but strong breed that was domesticated in western Norway 4,000 years ago. The Fjord horse is one of the world's oldest and purest breeds. Although ranging in height from only 13.1 to 14.3 hands, the Fjord is strong enough for heavy work loads, such as pulling timber or a plow. At the same time, the Fjord is light and agile enough for competitive riding. It is surefooted on rough terrain and considered to be an excellent driving horse. Its reputation makes it a good choice for riding schools and therapeutic programs. Fjords are good flock guardians and even can be taught to herd sheep. I can see why Fjords have been used for hundreds of years as farm horses in Norway!
The Fjord's distinguishing features include its light draft horse build and a thick mane with a full-length dorsal stripe. The mane usually is clipped to stand erect. I watched the footage of Fjords and their riders with interest. I suspect that, at approximately five hands shorter than Moto, Fjords offer their riders a much softer landing if they fall off--about two feet closer to the ground!
Fjords: they're good-natured, they can be safely ridden, driven, or used for hauling loads, and they work well with sheep...I'm sold.
No comments:
Post a Comment