Monday, October 3, 2011

Art & Soul

I recently read that if you take all the art in your home and put it in a pile, you will discern a common theme. I mentally walked through each room in the house, taking note of each print, painting, and decorative piece. Aha! The common theme for me is trees! I'm fascinated by this revelation because I certainly didn't plan this on any conscious level. But there it is: an abstract print of autumn leaves here, an impressionist painting of a tree-lined meadow there. Even my decorations are tree-themed--pinecones, wreaths, wood baskets. The focal point of the family room is two stunningly beautiful wood walking sticks, handmade by the Wrangler's father, which are displayed on the fireplace mantle. Every guest has immediately gravitated to them and inquired of their origin.

My fixation on trees makes a lot of sense. I'm not super outdoorsy, so I guess I bring the great outdoors inside. The breathtaking view of the tree-filled canyon was a significant factor in our decision to lease the farm. Every day I say aloud how much I prefer the views here to the city skylines and ocean views we enjoyed in our past houses. This makes perfect sense now.

Of course, most of us decorate with a particular style in mind--country, Tuscan, contemporary, etc. Test the art theory by looking for a theme beyond the decorating style. Maybe this theory doesn't always ring true. Some houses are pleasant but more generic; the place could belong to anyone. But the next time I'm in a home like this, I'm going to take a closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment